|First aired in 1989 – Baywatch was one of the coolest shows on TV! Today marks the anniversary of the last ever show back in 2001. David Hasslehoff and Pamela Anderson running round wearing very little was probably the main highlight..but putting aside the tiny bikinis, and the even tinier speedos, it was also full of action packed story lines that seemed to keep us all entertained as we were growing up. Everything from earthquakes, shark attacks – serial killers, nuclear bombs….every now and again someone would nearly drown too – just a minor theme in the show!
As we are wise owls when it comes to retro trivia – we’re going to fill you in on some exciting facts relating to Baywatch!
* Baywatch is the brainchild of producer Gregory J. Bonann. He was a lifeguard who often worked with Michael Newman and came up with the series idea about lifeguards based on his experiences.
* Gregory pitched the idea around Hollywood for years without success until his sister married TV writer Douglas Schwartz. Douglas later teamed with Michael Berk and sold Gregory’s idea to NBC.
* At its peak in the mid-90s, Baywatch was seen by over 1 billion viewers, was shown in over 144 countries in 23 different languages.
* The show drew more female viewers than male. Statistics showed that female viewership was at a dominating 65 percent!
* Producer Douglas Schwartz’s business cards were once stolen. Afterwards, he began getting calls from actresses who claimed to have been promised a part on the show. The thief, who was later caught, was using the cards to ‘further his social life’.
* Many of the show’s actors had tatoos and in most seasons were covered with body makeup.
* Douglas Schwartz has stated that the show has made about $450 million.
* California beaches can get very cold. Baywatch makes it look as if it’s extremely sunny and warm. The water is 57 degrees. Gena Lee Nolin and Yasmine Bleeth once came down with hypothermia.
* Producers originally wanted to use “The Boys of Summer” by Don Henley for the Baywatch theme song, but fortunately for all the fans, they couldn’t afford the $100,000 licensing fee at that time.
Show off your appreciation with one of our Baywatch tees!
Feeling a little more brave? If you’re looking for a cool fancy dress costume – then we have just the thing for you! With the likes of Molly King and Georgie Porter rocking the ladies costume, it’s clearly fit for all Baywatch loving babes…!
What’s your favourite fact? For us – the business card one…he gets a massive high five from us!
The eerie nights are creepily closing in, the pumpkins are getting fat and there are some strange goings on here at Truffle Towers! Those childhood faves, hidden in the darkest recesses of time for so long have come out to play, it’s time to let the ghost-busting begin, plan that well over-due trip to Castle Duckula and revel in the chance to get dressed up all fancy!
So, ladies we have some real ‘hair-raisingly’, bewitching treats for you! Wicked witches, 80’s pop divas and cutesy Tinkerbell, Alice in Wonderland, Spongebob Squarepants, Marilyn Monroe and Sandy from Grease for the more demure of you! Take a peek here.
You could even take your cue from the celebs! Check out Mollie King, Audrina Partridge and Kim Karsdashian, looking super hot in our Madonna Boy Toy, Baywatch Babe and Snow White outfits!
Dont fret! Theres tons of choice for the guys too! Our hot pick has to be Count Dracula, this costume will bring back many a happy memory of old Ducky Poos!
There’s also Dangermouse, Skeletor, He-Man, Top Gun’s Maverick, Elvis, Whooppee Cushion, Spongebob, MC Hammer, Superheroes and tons more, have a look here!
Or maybe you will choose to tempt and tease with our spookily realistic costume tees!